auto temp II

I've no doubt this system should work very awesome ..but I consider the non aluminum (non metal) units a lost cause. Oh there is quite alot of technical information in the 1971 service manual on this system. It also mentions the servo as a NON servicable unit..after cracking one open a few times I am not gonna bother. For now I live with a broken one....whether I will ever repair the system I have no idea.

----- Original Message -----
From: Kenyon Wills
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 9:24 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: auto temp II

Robin,

I was where you are now.  I bought a second unit from a vendor that came out of the shipping box already cracked.  They all seem to either crack on the bottom and leak out, or crack on the top and leak into the mechanicals and destroy the mechanicals.  This all appears to be a matter of eventuality, so I'd suggest not investing any hope in your units that you can't afford to give up on later.

Kerry put in a manual system as seen in his '73 saga, and I'd suggest doing either that or getting the aluminum one.

Glad I'm in a temperate area!

-Kenyon in the SF Bay Area

Robin Giesbrecht <robings@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ongoing saga of auto temp II in a 72 Imperial. It worked fine when I bought
it about a year ago. But then the body cracked. Found another on a Mercedes
at the junkyard. Could not believe it. So slapped that one on. Well it did
not leak and since it was winter warm air was fine. I then disassembled the
original and discovered it is not that complicated at all. The inners of the
original were in like new condition. Then I pulled the one from the Mercedes
apart as it would not give me any cold air. Well the insides of this one
were a complete disaster.Corrosion everywhere. Got moisture inside it
somewhere along the way. OK. Swap innards from original over to the Mercedes
body. Great. Now it makes cold air but will not blow except for a short
blast after I switch it from Hi Def. Also when the switch is selected to Lo
auto or Hi Auto there is a definite vacuum hiss coming from the selector
unit. I had t his out also but not much you can do with it. Anyone have a
spare or know of a junker that could donate one? I think that might be my
problem. Any other ideas? I know a new aluminum servo would be nice but
money is tight right now.

Robin Giesbrecht