Vinyl Roof Problem

--- grandpa and cheryl wrote:
>My 72 LeBarons roof is in excellent shape other than
its
>textured and in the depressions there is a stubborn
white
>coating(it's a tan roof).I would like to get the
white
>out but nothing seems to work.Anyone have a
suggestion?

Hi Tony,

When I got my '70 Imperial last year, it had a thick
white coating all over the dark blue vinyl top.  It
looked terrible, and I didn't think I would EVER get
it clean!

First of all, I think this white film is caused by
many years of frequent use of Armor All or a similar
product.  Armor All really hasn't worked well when
I've used it on vinyl tops -- if it gets rained on, it
runs, leaving streaks down the sides of the car.  And
over time, it leaves this white coating.

I tried a bunch of different cleaners to get this
white film off of the top, but the only thing I found
that would work is Castrol Super Clean.  HOWEVER--you
MUST be really careful with this stuff, because in
full strength, it will discolor the paint on your
car!!!

I cleaned my top by spraying small sections, using a
stiff nylon brush to agitate the cleaner, letting it
sit for about five minutes, and then cleaning the area
twice with a damp cloth.  It took a while, but I was
able to do this pretty carefully without getting any
of the cleaner on the rest of the car.  After I had
finished cleaning the top, I rinsed the whole top
really well with a hose, and then immediately washed
the car to make sure no residue of the Super Clean
remained anywhere.

The top looked AMAZINGLY better!

I followed this up with Armstrong Vinyl Floor Polish
(available at Lowe's), which gave it a nice shine (but
not too shiny).  The Armstrong product seems to do a
much better job than Armor All or any other products
I've tried over the years on vinyl tops.

Good Luck!

Elijah