towing with a 57

I have personal knowledge on pulling trailers. Beginning in 1951 my dad had a
48 New Yorker that pulled a wooden 18' camp trailer. Boy, that trailer was
heavy but it would pull the six of us up Baker Grade on the way to Las Vegas in
the heat of the day and never overheat. In 1953, my dad bought a New Yorker
with the Fluid Drive and a 22' Boles Aero trailer (aluminum trailer comparable
to the Airstream) and that car, with me driving would go 75 miles an hour with
no problems. In 1957, my dad bought a New Yorker with the 392 and Torqueflite.
That car pulled the same Boles Aero. And, the conclusion of this email -- the
transmission could and would not take the load. Why? I think the 57s, if
memory is correct, is air cooled. It wasn't until 58 that the trans fluid was
cooled through the radiator. So, no matter what my dad did to pull that trailer
with the 57 NY, there was no way it would go very far on the level (Pacific
Coast Highwa) before the trans would let go -- usually 2nd gear. Soon after,
the
Boles Aero weas sold...

I wish you the best in pulling yours...

Sherwood Kahlenberg