speaking of hoses

When I got my spare upper and lower 3.3 intake
manifold, the guy who pulled it left all the sensors,
bolts, hoses, etc still attached to it.

I noticed that the coolant hose was literally filled
with some black chunky, oilly dirt substance.

There was ***maybe*** 2mm open in the middle of this
hose for coolant to flow.

My question: I've never seen this before. What would
cause it?

http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1990/Brad/Repairs/HeaterHose1.jpg

http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1990/Brad/Repairs/HeaterHose2.jpg