1973 Idler Arm Solution

I finally came into some extra money and paid RARE PARTS to redo the idler
arm on Imperial Margarine.

I had gone to the local auto parts chain store and had gotten a $35 '73
NY'er arm on advice posted to the list.  The arm was too short, so it was
not correct or anything more than a place-holder, but it did allow the car
to be driven and moved, just not driven anywhere off the block, so that
was a good temporary solution while I stared at the bad part on the
workbench for a month and thought about how much I didn't want to spend
$200 on it.

The rebuild took 4 days (Rare Parts is only 100 miles away).

I put it back in last night, and the car steers correctly for the first
time since I got it.  I flinched as my money disappeared, but am totally
satsified now that the money's gone and my car's corrected.  If your car's
idler arm is bugging you (loosey-goosey steering), I'd highly reccommend
the rebuild investment.

=====
Kenyon Wills
San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area

196o Imperial LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1960/Kenyon/Page01.htm
1973 Imperial LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious
http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1973/wills/