1967 with 1968 side markers

A few responses below...

Rob P (fristpenny@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> By 1970, my 'cuda
> has a sidemarker which consists of a long thin reflector with a small square
> light as part of the same assembly. So within two years that how it was on
> the "junior" model cars. They were probably working out what to do, as the
> regulations were new.

For 1970 all cars had both reflectors and lamps, regardless of make or price
class.

>> As for Germany, I'm really surprised to hear that, because all the new VWs
>> I've seen have a light in the front fender just behind the wheelwell,
>
> That's what I thought. Most European and Japanese model cars have a fairly
> large light on the fender rather than US style side markers.
> Rob

That's a turn signal, not a side marker. A side marker illuminates with the
parking lamps and glows steady. Europe requires side-mounted turn signals.
Japan does too. The US allows it but foolishly does not require any side
illumination of turn signals whatsoever, though more and more car makers are
including it anyway, via lamps in the fender (like VWs), mirror housing
(like Mercedes) or mirror lens (like some Ford SUVs). And some just ground
the front side marker in such a way that it flashes with the signal when the
headlamps are off, alternate to it when they're on (Chrysler does this,
though not on all models for some reason... goofy because it costs virtually
nothing to add at the design phase).

In fact, if anyone wants to add this feature to their side markers, it's an
easy thing to do. I've converted several cars of my own to do this. E-mail
me privately and I can tell you how.

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon