side marker/cornering lamps

>That's a turn signal, not a side marker. A side marker illuminates with the
>parking lamps and glows steady. Europe requires side-mounted turn signals.
>Japan does too. The US allows it but foolishly does not require any side
>illumination of turn signals whatsoever, though more and more car

Chris,
The markers I'm talking about, I'm sure they are the same ones you are
talking about are often white/blue and one with the lights, not just with
the turn signals. I've definitely seen them on Subarus and VWs. I'm pretty
sure this is stock, but it may be that they are modified that way, like the
windshield washer lights, which are unfortunately quite common around here.
On an Imperial topic: My '83 has cornering lamps and the passenger side
socket is rusted out.  What other cars had the same socket? Just so I know
where to look when yarding this summer.
Rob