Richer/leaner, was Exhaust system discussion

Richer/leaner, was Exhaust system discussion

Just my $.02.
 I have installed dual exhaust on both my 67 Imp and 69 300 both with 440's.
The 300 was done first and was the first modification done. I used 2 1/2" on
both. The price between 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 is minimal. I think that 2 1/2 is a
little restrictive even for a stock 440, of course its just my opinion and
is much better than just a single exhaust. I will be installing 2 3/4" on
the Imp some time next year. I like mine a little loud, so I use smaller
size muffs. If you utilize the space given on an Imp for muffler size, you
can actually keep them quiet with 2 1/2" pipes and large mufflers. The
larger the muffler, the quieter it will be.

I read an article in a mopar mag last month about exhaust. They did some
dyno tests and came to the conclusion that you can run one size smaller tail
pipes than what comes into the mufflers with no loss of horsepower. They
were running 2 1/2" from the manifold to the muffler, then used the largest
muffler as would fit, then used 2 1/4 out to the rear.

One thing to check is the pipe diameter inside the mufflers. Most cheap
mufflers neck down as soon as the pipe enters the muffler case. Some 2 1/2"
inlet/outlet mufflers are actually 2" thru pipes. This will make a smaller
muffler quieter, but restricts flow.

Brian
www.dusted74.com