Balancing trick (was 63 Turbine Car)

At the annual Mopar Meet in Center Line, Michigan in the late '70s, Chrysler
would  bring their latest turbine application (I believe it was in a Volare
or Aspen). They would perform the same trick.

It wasn't just Packards or 8s. Packard/Cadillac V-12s and especially the
Cadillac V-16 could pull this off with no problem. And, I suppose, many
other cars of that era, including the big straight 8 Chyrsler. They idled at
or below 400 rpm, had long strokes and low compression ratios. The engines
weren't turning a lot of ancillary stuff, like power steering belts,
pollution pumps, etc. Just a pure, big engine with a heavy flywheel.

I've had a couple of flathead V-8 Cadillacs that could do this, even with
the inherent unbalance of the V-8.

The lack of noise outside the vehicle also is remarkable for these classic
era cars. Inside, though, due to all the modern insulating techniques,
modern cars (Lexus comes to mind) do extremely well. Engine noise at the
source may be higher vs. classic era cars, but it surely is silenced once it
gets into the cabin! Even the moderately priced Toyota Camry V-6 is
excellent for low dbs.

Currell