90 Parking Brake

You may or may not recall my earlier post about the parking brake linings
for my 1990 Imperial.

You see, the rear disk brakes are built much like those on a 74/5 Imperial
in that they have a small drum brake inside the disk brake rotor.  The drum
brake is simply there for the parking brake.  When I took mine apart, after
buying the car, I found that the right side linings were dried up and
cracking and the left side seemed to have been oil soaked somehow.  I called
around and the only place I could get replacement shoes was at my dealer.
The shoes were $89.00.  If this had been the end of the story, I would have
paid the man, grumbled a little and then went on my way.  This was NOT the
end of the story however.  Chrysler had done some sort of "change-up" on the
shoes and therefore required that I buy the adjuster also.  This adjuster
comes in three parts.  The screw, the cap and the barrel.  Keep in mind that
I needed two of everything to complete both sides of the car.  Each of these
6 parts were priced between $20 and $25.  The total price for replacing the
parking brake shoes in my 1990 Imperial was about $225.00!  It would have to
get VERY cold in some very warm places for me to pay THAT!  I called around
and found a place in town that re-lines brakes etc.  I took them there on
Monday and I picked them up today.  The man charged me $35.00 for the set.
Needless to say I was ecstatic!  I am now one baby step closer to getting my
Imperial back together.