1959 Brakes

At 04:53 PM 9/8/02, you wrote:
Hi Fellow Imperialists,

I have a question about removing and servicing the front brakes on my '59 Crown.  To replace the front cylinders recently I practically had to remove and dismantle the entire wheel to get the cylinders out.  I am sure there must have been an easier way.  I know I need a shop manual, but I am wondering what the "quick" method for removing the cylinders would be?  Then, how does one properly adjust those front brakes?  I do have brakes now, but they pull badly to the left.

Thanks in advance for the friendly advice!

Rex Crews,

Someone will come to your aide shortly, I expect. In the meantime, let me say this. After you wrestle the brake drum off, you see the shoes and all the springs and things. If you take the top springs off and maybe even the bottom one s(?), (I am not sure about how an Imperial is set up). Lay the brake lining to the left and right and the front part should be done. You then have to crawl under the car and remove the cylinder. The hardest time I have ever had is trying to keep the lines going to the cylinder from twisting around and in half. I suppose a person should break the line loose, then take the cylinder off, then finish the cylinder removal. That sounds a lot simpler than it is.
I doubt this is much help but someone will be along shortly.
Danno