Silver's cam

Rick, how can you can measure the cam bearings while engine is still in the
car?  Also, how do you remove the broken piece of the cam in the back with
engine still on the car?

If there was oil starvation in the rear cam bearings, those bearings may be in
bad shape.  But if they can be measured with engine in the car, then its worth
trying.

If the engine will have to come off, you can replace main and rod bearings too,
just in case.  Also, with the engine off the car, it will be FAR easier to
install your mechanical oil pressure gage.  You can ask the mechanic to install
the fittings for you, it should be almost zero extra labor cost.

If the 4 rear cylinders hold pressure, (most likely) then there obviously is no
need to do a complete overhaul.

Mike, even if its a bit more expensive to do a partial rebuilt instead of
buying another used 440, I would go with the partial overhaul.  You keep the
original engine, and you know for sure what you get.  Also, this will be a
great opportunity to install a slightly larger cam.

In the extreme case you have to do work on the heads, consider the possibility
of upgrading to the later 906 heads (if you have the 915s) with bigger exhaust
valves.  It will boost a bit more the upper end.

D^2