Silver's cam

This morning I received a call from the mechanic in
NY.  Broken cam.  Yes, it was indeed running on 4
cylinders.  No reason as to why, and he said there's
no way he could know for sure how much metal is in the
engine.  At any rate, he quoted me $1000 _just_ to
pull and replace the engine, not including machine
work and the new cam.

And that's assuming all the valves, heads, pistons,
and other bearings are OK.

Needless to say, this is not how I hoped my Saturday
would start off.  Any thoughts on this prognosis?

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God."
  --Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"