gas gauge

Probably not.  Best way to figure out though is drive around with a 1 or 2
gallon gasoline container in the trunk, so you know for sure what the gas gauge
indicates when you are out.  My guess though is that the needle will be
disappeared when you are out.

Are you still having dieseling problems?  The suggestion you got about trying
to reduce the idle setting of the carb is probably the best.  You may have to
readjust the timing in order to be able to reduce idle speed.  Make sure you
run higher octane gas.
D^2