gas gauge

> when i fill up in gas my gas gauge shows 75% full,
> so does that mean when
> its on empty i still have a 1/4th of a tank left?

Only way to know for sure is to wait for the gauge to
hit bottom, and fill up, watching how many gallons it
takes to fill it up.

On my '67, the gas gauge reads about 3/4 no matter how
much petrol I try to squeeze into the 25 gallon tank
after the pump clicks off.  So, I let it run down to
the point where the "Check Gauges" light was on
constantly, not just flickering, and the gauge was
just a hair above the 'E'.  It took 18 point something
gallons, again, squeezing as much as I could into the
tank.

Nonetheless, its somewhat disconcerting to watch that
needle plummet, and even more disconcerting to drive a
5000 pound very-hard-to-push mobile with the fuel
gauge reading "Help Me!"

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Piles of pitted chrome