Ah, the sound of Imperial

Hi Ron:

EXCELLENT discussion-point you brought up about the
very name Imperial itself.  As you point out, Cadillac
and Lincoln speak to great historical figures.
Lincoln bespeaks "American solidity and strength".
Cadillac (and LaSalle) 'reference' a kind of
continental exoticism and 'pedigree' (family coats of
arms, etc...).

Looking deeper into the classic-era luxury
past:   'Packard,' 'Deusenberg', 'Marmon' and 'Pierce-
Arrow' all refered to individuals.  'Peerless' refered
directly to the virtues of the car.

But IMPERIAL comes right out and directly refers to
touchy issues of 'royalty,' 'entitlement,'
and 'rulers' - an entirely different political system
than our own.  It is a 'haughty' statement - maybe
(from a marketing standpoint) too literally so for the
American car buying public to feel comfortable driving?

(REMEMBER, Imperialists, this isn't a proclamation,
just a thought/discussion... ).

Jim Byers
I.S.O.
'60 LeBaron Southampton