Marketing of Imperials/Elvis

Hi Mark & All:

Glad everybody is writing with their varied
perspectives.  Nothing beats a good (friendly)
discussion!

Say Mark...?  Your comment about Elvis buying Caddy's
for his mother does say a lot.  It says even more when
you take into account that Chrysler Corporation had a
contract with his studio, Paramount Pictures, which
featured all manner of Chryslers and Imperials in most
of his films!  Furthermore, one of his most remembered
scenes from his early hit films is in the 1957
film "Loving You", in which he is seen in several
scenes touring the southern countryside in a lovingly
photographed 1957 Imperial Crown Convertible (white
with a red leather interior).  Upon Elvis' arrival
back home, one of the characters in the film whistles
at the car and says something to the effect of 'the
space ships have landed!'

Cadillac's hold on the American public was (and is)
strong.  But I still contend that if work-a-day Toyota
can successfully campaign a luxury car company
(Lexus), that proves that it most certainly can be
done.  That mighty Chrysler Corporation was 'somewhat
less successful' with the Imperial Division - even
when the car itself was the 'darling' of the motoring
press for a decade) - that says to me that there MUST
have been a problem with the marketing effort.

As another IML member mentioned, Chrysler was not
successful in turning the Imperial into a 'must-have'
item.  Luckily, we 'Imperialists' have a lot more on
the ball than the American public did in the fifties
and sixties and we 'must have' our Imperials! LOL!

Jim Byers