Marketing of Imperials/Elvis

Oh, I agree with you.  I hope no one got the impression I thought their
marketing was good.  I think it would be hard to argue that.  I think it
was poor.

I just think that "bad sales" is a relative term.  In comparison to
Caddy, yes, Imperial sales were bad.  But when compared to what the
other divisions of Chrysler were doing relative to their competition for
most of the 60s, Imperial was doing about the same. (That is, to say,
pulling up the rear.)

I finally got ahold of that Collectible Automobile article.  (Stuff
takes longer to reach us here in the boonies.)  I haven't read it all,
but what I did read irritated me in its doom & gloom perspective.  I
don't like seeing Imperial interpreted through the failure lens, if you
know what I mean.

One thing that I don't recall if you mentioned or not, but I think it
may have something to do with Imperial's lack of success, was the name
itself.  Although I like the name, and most of us probably do, it lacks
a strong consonant sound like the "K" sound in Cadillac and
Continental.  I'm not saying you need to have that to have a successful
name for a car, but, to use the example you used, Lexus-- there is a
word with a strong sound right in the middle: "X."  Imperial is a very
smooth sound . . . maybe good for a margarine, but a car?  Hmm.  You
also have to wonder about the connotations of the word: empire, world
domination, etc.

I don't know if this made all THAT much difference.  Maybe this is
pretty off the wall speculation, but you never know.  The fact that so
many people slip and call my car an "Impala"-- even after I've corrected
them 100 times-- may have been some of the problem.

Mark