Collectable Automobile/Imp. Mystique

I also agree with Jim's position.  I have another side which is entirely my
guess, have not really read it anywhere.  My guess is that Chrysler
corporation was using the Imperial as a prestige car to boost sales to the
other semi-luxury cars they were selling.  So, possibly on purpose they
maintained the link between Imperial and Chrysler.  I would think that if
you were in the market for a Plymouth VIP or a Chrysler semi-luxury car,
and visited a dealer with an Imperial sitting there, you would probably
walk around it and say, well, may be one day I will be able to afford one
of those!  If Chrysler did not offer Imperial, you might think that
Chrysler Corporation cannot really build proper luxury and they are only
good for cheap cars, so may be you would be better served by a Buick or
something, which is built by a company that really knows luxury.  If
Imperial was truly separated from other Chrysler products, buyers of lesser
semi-luxury may still be getting a similar feeling.  So, I think that
Imperial accepted Imperial as non-profitable division by its own sales, but
a prestige division worthwhile to be maintained for boosting sales for
other divisions.  Again, I could be wrong, but that's my take.  Imperial
was kind'o like Packard, it was offering a car beyond the needs of the
average buyer, but unlike Packard, it was backed by Chrysler, so it stayed
afloat longer.  Let's face it.  A person (even today) that can afford a
luxury car is probably too old to care about handling, performance, and
brake fade at 100 mph.  Its also hard to believe that Chrysler officers
could not see that old wealthy people valued soft ride more than brake fade
and cornering and passing performance at over 100.

As for the 67-68 discussion regarding the reflecting interior, look at the
67 road test by car life (in the site somewhere).  The caption that shows
the interior is actually condemning the reflective interior, although  like
it better.  I also can't believe the 68 grill or the bronze insert were
cost cutting features, but I like the B-pillar interior covers of the 67's
better, as well as  the inside door handles.  The front bumpers of the 68
are far more protective.  Overall, I like the 68 styling a bit better, but
I am a bit biassed!
D^2, 2x68s, one needs a new carb.