Collectible Autos and Imperials

In a message dated Mon, 29 Jul 2002 1:44:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mailing-list-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I think we collectors
> need to recognize that the very qualities that we
> admire in post-war Imperials were completely at odds
> with the tastes and desires of the vast majority of
> the American luxury car buyers in the 1950’s through
> the mid-‘70’s.  And therein lies the magic of these
> great machines – Imperial’s were quite literally ‘too
> good’ for mass consumption!  As hobbyists, I think
> that’s something, to take quite a bit of pride in!

I think Bill makes an excellent point with his reply.  I have long held the
same thoughts about how Chrysler did a poor job in creating a brand image with
the Imperial line.  Same can be said for what happened to DeSoto and then
Plymouth.  Excellent commentary Bill!  I enjoyed your writing.

As for the Collectible Auto artible, I too, have just recently acquired and
read the article.  I thought it was a fair overall appraisal of the 1967-68
Imperial.  I finished the article and had a higher appreciation for the 1967
model.  So much so that I want to go and buy one.  I found it interesting that
Chrysler did not provide the same paint finish in 1968 as was done in 1967
(cost savings) and some of the other cost reducers made me feel like my 68 is
the "little hand me down" sister to the 1967.  Not that I would give up my 68
Crown Coupe!  Oh no sir, I won't!!  But I was impressed with the details and
the execution completed on the 1967 model.  Maybe a convertible should be the
purchase.  Hmmm.....

The article did make one reference to the antique bronz used in the 1968
Imperial.  There is lots of it in the Coupe. More than the Crown hardtop or the
LeBaron.  The Crown Coupe is almost LeBaron in its finish which has always been
interesting to me.  The leather bucket seat option has a stitching pattern very
much like the LeBaron.

I was pleased to see a lengthy article on this generation of Imperial.  To me
they have been under appreciated.  But that too is changing.  I saw in a recent
Old Cars Price Guide that the 1968 Imperial Crown Coupe is now worth more than
the same year Lincoln or Cadillac.  Good things come to those that wait.

And for Mike P - the gray 1967 Imperial Crown shown in the article is owned by
our own Christopher Hoffman (frequent commentator on the IML!  Beautiful car
Chris!!)

Happy Motoring!

Dale
68 Crown Coupe
("When you want more than just luxury in your luxury car")
60 New Yorkers (2 door, sedan, T&C, 4 door hardtop)
71 New Yorker Sedan
79 New Yorker Sedan