Guages

Jim, if you had a Big Block, I would tell you the exact location.  But you
have a V-6 (?), so I will give you the location in general terms.

The coolant needs to go in the coolant outlet (the hottest spot).  On the
radiator, it might give you lower than the hottest reading, and as you
said, it needs to touch the coolant.  On big blocks, you can remove one of
the stock H2O sensors above the water pump, and one of the NPT fittings
provided will fit right in.

Oil:  They normally put it in the furthest location from the oil pump.  Not
so much because there will be a significant pressure drop, but because:
A) This would be the last spot where oil pressure restores after a dry start
B) This is the first place that the oil pressure disappears if you have
trouble.
Where is this location?  You guessed it, valvetrain.  Usually, that's where
the factory sending unit is.  Remove the factory sending unit, and you will
most likely see a 1/4 or 1/8 NPT fitting.  You can either replace the
factory unit, or go to a hardware store, by a T fitting and install both.
D^2 with mechanical gauges on the high mileage 68.