1954 Crown Imperial Limo & Thoughts on a Restoration

1954 Crown Imperial Limo & Thoughts on a Restoration

In a message dated 7/18/02 2:59:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, monkeypuzzle1@xxxxxxx writes:

Missing from the exterior, the hubcaps, rear view mirrors, and the red crown from the trunk lid.
The hubcaps and the crowns were used in multiples for four years straight. The mirrors maybe more of a problem because they were unique to the year but not likely unique to the model.

Very good points Arran and permit me to add some more info.  The hubcaps were unique to the Crown Imperial only due to the disc brakes, and were the same for 1951/52.  In 1953 they were mildly changed and again changed for the 1954 model.  As a result of the discs brakes, the rear (mounting side) of the caps have large metal fins and when installed, there is a gap between the outer edge of the hub cap and the rim.  They give the appearance of not being on all the way.  Unfortunately the outside rear view mirrors are also unique to the Crowns Imperials.  In what I consider to be a design flaw, these mirrors are mounted on the windshield post just below the open end of the rain gutter.  As a result, over a period of time and especially in the wetter areas, the water would run down & literally corrode the base of the mirror.  All in all though, I'm one nut that loves the Crown Imperials and hope to one day add that elusive 57/59 Ghia limo.
                                                             Bill B.
                                                             1951 & 1952 Crown Imperial