'81 RUNNING HOT???

I may have missed a few things along the way, but the overheating problem is
either in the block or the radiator, if the water pump and thermostat are
working fine.

As Dick Benjamin pointed out, the block could be clogged up and need to be
cleaned out.  I went through that with my 1983, although it was done as the
core plugs were leaking, including the ones hidden by the transmission case.
It runs great now, but it will be a little while before the credit card gets
back down to normal!

Have you checked the radiator?  There is a very simple test to check the
flow in your radiator - all you need is the palm of one hand.  When the car
is at operating temperature, feel the surface of the radiator core - but be
extremely careful when putting your hand on the rad surface.  If it feels
hot before your hand touches the surface, go no closer - you know it's hot.
If the rad is plugged up, you will find cool areas and that temperatures
across the surface (and thus inside the radiator) vary.

And in a radiator in good shape, the temperatures across the surface should
be the same - at least to the touch,  Temperatures should vary from top to
bottom, though, as the coolant is supposed to cool as it progresses through
the radiator.

Bill
Vancouver, BC