73 Advice

Many thanks for the responses to my lengthy note last week regarding my
"new" 73.  All the advice was greatly appreciated.

I'm happy to report that after spending some quality time (my kids are
complaining they want equal time) with it over the holiday weekend, it's
running much better.  New plugs, wires, fuel and air filters, and a few
vacuum hoses made a big difference.  It's actually a wonder it was running
as well as it was.  Five of the seven plugs and wires I replaced (the 8th
one can't be humanly reached from above and I haven't made a big effort to
reach it from below yet) could be removed without using a wrench.  They
weren't in immediate danger of coming out but they weren't very tight
either.  There were and still are several unconnected wires, a couple of
loose bolts holding the carburator, and some hoses I've not been able to
quite figure out yet.  The service manual is quickly becoming my favorite book.

The discussion concerning insulation between the intake and pan has been
interesting.  I found just such a thing yesterday as I was poking around
and blamed it previous owners.  Didn't realize it was supposed to be
there.  Guess I'll have to go dig it back out of the trash.

Again, thanks for all the help. (Kerry, I tried to send you a private
response last week regarding your floor pans, but I'm not sure whether it
went out.  My browser gave me an error.  Could you let me know off-list
whether you received it?)

        Tony Wright
          58 Crown
          73 LeBaron