Flight sweep trim ring

I was doing some spot touch up painting on my '59 Imperial today, and while
waiting for areas to dry I decided to remove the trim ring around the
Flightsweep tire. I removed the screw at the top which released the band, but
was unable to get the band off. I started prying with a screw driver, but I
got afraid I might bend it. Does anyone out there have previous experience
with this? I need to get the ring off to repair a small rust spot that goes
up under it towards the rear of the trunk.
Thanks in advance,
Bill '59 Crown