water pump?

Had my first Imperial break-down Saturday. Well, it didn't strand me, but it
was spitting coolant, so I left it at my girlfriend's house.  Stuck in
traffic, then driving it hard (up to about 90) all with a/c on, then more
traffic.  When I parked, it started to steam from left front corner of hood.
Coolant is pouring out.  I think it's the seam on the driver's side of the
water pump.  Would this be normal if the pump lets go? Making some clicking
noises. Hopefully the pump bearing and not engine internals.  Idiot light
never came on and car ran fine, so hopefully I didn't overheat it.
Anything I should know about doing a water pump on an '83?  Any brands, etc
I should avoid?  Anything else I should look for?

Thanks everybody,
Rob