Price of a 67 or 68 440?

At 03:47 AM 6/11/02, you wrote:
Running 440's, especially those of '68-'70 vintage, bring upwards of $600 up in Michigan.  Guys will pay $800-$1000 for a '68-'70 car just to get the motor.  I bought my '68 for $800 out from under a racer who just wanted the 440 for a drag car (and I'm a tightwad), only because the widow didn't want to see her late husband's 44,000 mile car cut up.  The racer was willing to pay more.
Steve,
Last year, I had a 1966 Imperial 4 door hardtop with the 440. It was not a running car but the motor turned freely.
A guy called me, unsolicited, and wanted to know what I needed out of it. He already had a 2 door hardtop and a LeBaron and wanted to round out his stable.
This guy was from somewhere close to one of the great lakes. I live in Tennessee. I told him $1,000 would buy it.
He set a date and he and a couple of buddies of his came down with a trailer, paid cash and hauled it back to Michigan.
Turns out, through another contact, that he got it running and sold the motor and transmission out of it, ,then sold the body separately. I suspect it ended up as a demo derby car. These guys like the Imperial body and frame  but prefer the small block Chevy motor for derby demo cars.
The thing that upset me was that he lied to me about his intentions.
I have a 440 out of a pulling truck. The right side engine mounting points are broken off. I suspect this engine was chained down after that to contain the torque.
This engine has a 6 pack set-up on it, is bored .30 over, has crane (? not sure of the brand name) adjustable rocker arms, has for real with the right number connecting rods. I have offered it around here for $1,200.00.
It's a stump puller engine, but needs to have a new block that has to be bored .30 over.
Is this overpriced or not? Who'se to say?
That's what it will take to buy it, as I an sell the parts for more than that and let the bare block got to the scrap dealer. ]
Danno
Danno