Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 8:32 PM
Subject: IML: Is it a ball and trunion?

Boy am I confused....

I am trying to get my '59 ready for a road trip.  High on the list of "must
do" items was replacing the driveshaft carrier bearing.  I have a new one of
those on the way.  I also think I have a couple bad u joints so figured I
should replace those as well.  #2 (center) and #3 (rear) seem to be no
problem..  They are on the shelf at the parts store.

When I get to #1 (front) it gets confusing.  The '59 servive manual says
there were no changes from '58 and to reference that book.  The '58 book
shows some big elaborate creature with lots of parts and a rubber boot over
it.  That isn't what I have...

I have my '59 and the parts '59.  On mine there are four bolts coming
through the parking brake drum.  The u-joint ends that attach to the drum
are not perfectly round like #2 and #3.  They have a roller and bushing
assembly that is wide and flat at the bottom with two holes on each one that
slide over the bolts on the parking brake drum and then nuts to hold them
on.  The '59 parts car has what appears to be a standard type u-joint like
#2 and #3 attached to a metal plate that attaches to the parking brake drum.

Now my problem is that I don't know what is correct..  Neither drive shaft
shows any signs of ever having been modified.  I don't know how it should be
so don't know where to start in trying to find a replacement u-joint.
Anyone have an idea of what is going on here?

On a separate but related note...  Can I replace u-joint #2 and #3 at home
or do they have to be done at a shop?

                            Steve B.