pertronix or mopar elec or points?

Hi all....

Just a trivia thing, the pertronix and the mopar elec unit are basically the
same technology.  both use a magnet that rotates to excite ( induce,
seduce.....youll get the idea ) a very small current in a stationary
winding.  ( this is basic electricity 101, move a conductor thru a magnetic
field )   this very small current is used as a switch thru a transistor,
that in turn makes the field in the coil collapse and that induces a much
larger voltage to the spark plug.

dick b. could explain it much more accurately than I, this is a bare sketch.
i like both of these systems, the pertronix hides easily, and unless someone
is really looking for it..you really dont notice the 2 small wires.  another
plus, you get to keep the existing distributor curves, which sometimes can
be a plus if youve had a distributor recurved and set up for your car.

 the mopar set up is easy to do, can be done as the kit from mopar or from
parts and pieces.  in fact, the schematic to install one is in our archives
i believe.  the one plus to it, is when the box fails you can get one fairly
easily, which may not be the case with the pertronix - especially if your
car is sitting in the darkest, lonliest place you would never ever normally
leave it some evening.

either way, its up to you....when I did use pertronix, i carried a spare.
they did sometimes fail without warning and they dont like it at all if the
key gets left on for an extended period.  i have heard they have been
improved upon, but i dont have any personal knowledge of it.

have fun

Mikey
62 crown coupe