From: Chad Brown
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2002 3:48 PM
Subject: IML: 62 Crown for sale, your thoughts please.

Hi.
Wife and I just went out to Outback to eat, and on the
way back she says "what kind of car is THAT?" I
looked, and it was a '62 Crown 4 door. I knew of the
car, knew it was for sale, but hadn't seen it before
and wasn't sure what the asking price was. It looked
pretty good from the road, so we stopped in (it was at
a car stereo place) and asked about it. Body's been
redone, new paint, looks really nice, all the chrome's
there but the bumpers could use re-chroming. 413 never
been rebuilt (the carburetor needs to be "gone
through", apparently it doesn't like it when the car
goes over bumps) to the owner's knowledge, but it runs
very smooth, doesn't smoke or make weird noises. Dual
exhaust on it sounds good, though there is a slight
leak somewhere. Car drives well, brakes work but the
booster needs to be rebuilt or replaced. It needs
interior work though..front seats need either
replacing or re-upholstering, headliner has a couple
small, look like burn holes in it, square steering
wheel is cracked. Needs all 4 inner door panels,
interior chrome trim is pitted. Heater doesn't work,
owner doesn't know why, switch for heater is missing,
owner says switch "fell in behind dash". 2 power
windows on driver's side don't work. Has original
radio, don't know if it works or not. I asked about
the price, owner says "I'm asking 6k, but I'm
motivated, I'll take 5"...It's a neat car, really
looks sharp, whoever did the bodywork and paint really
did a good job, but is it WORTH that much? How much
will it cost to track down all the interior odds and
ends it needs? And those brakes, I just see $$$$ when
I think about them, are they that bad to service? He
said the front brakes had 2 wheel cylinders each. I am
interested to read what others more experienced with
these cars think.

BTW, I already have a '73 NYB that has a near perfect
interior, solid body but some rust in the lower
quarters, that runs and drives great and everything
works. I'd have to sell this car to get another one.
Thanks, Chad