1970's Auto Temp - what it looks like & cure

1970's Auto Temp - what it looks like & cure

The servo looks like a small brown topped plastic square
headed tower/monument that sits on the PS fender and has 4
hoses (2 per side) plugged into it on their way from the
water pump to the firewall/heaterbox and back.

There is a gaggle of wires and vucuum tubes going to the
firewall, too.

These were found on Mercedes also, as you wrote.
Apparently the bottom molded plastic bowl/inlet/outlet
galleries do not hold up to the heat of the water from the
hot engine and fails, causing many to either crack and
spring a leak or get into the internals of the valve,
ruining the mechanism, or both.

There is an after-market version that is made out of
aluminum that I saw a picture of online with a price next
to it (you may find it if you search under autotemp and
likely descriptors).  The aluminum one was designed
after-market to deal with the same problem that most people
 eventually have with this unit.
Memory fails, but I think that the thing was around $600
give or take.

Kerry solved his by removing it and substituting someone
else's mechanical hot water valve and controls (see '73
saga for details).  Kerry being Kerry, he made it work,
made it sound easier than it (probably)is (due to his
significant shade-tree skills), and sound like a pretty
passable solution that is worth considering.  Doing this is
probably the most cost effective DIY solution short of
finding a used and working unit or giving away 600 clams,
but you run the risk of having it fail on you, too, if you
go used.  I plan to take the mecahnical switch replacement
route because it appears that the aluminum base is the only
other real cure.

I sure am glad that I live in the temperate SF Bay Area.
There is nothing that a hot transmission tunnel hump or a
rolled down window can't solve here.  My AutoTemp unit is
on the shelf awaiting a visit by the auto-temp fairy that
puts a new unit under your pillow-topped seat if you wait
long enough.

-Kenyon,
owner of the yellow "I can't beleive its not butter" 1973
yellow Imperial (known to its freinds as "Imperial
Margarine")

--- Merc1Doc@xxxxxxx wrote:
> What does this servo look like is there a picture If it
> is like a Mercedes I
> might be able to help as I hot wire these units to go to
> full A/C or Full
> Heat which ever is required and its cheaper than the
> 600.00 and 135.00 amp
> Asa

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious