trans pulling fun

The trans let go on my 73 a week or so back and today I finally got up enough initiative to pull it.  DANG!@  What a job!

The only real problem was the drive shaft.  I had to remove the STUDS from the rear ujoint to get enough clearance to pull the shaft.  Used the old double nut trick but it took forever.  Pulling the starter is always fun as the top bolt cannot be reached unless you are a contortionist with short arms.  Started at 9 and finished at 4.  @#$%#$%&&*

From the symptoms my tranny guy thinks it may be a 'sear' that holds the 2nd and 3rd gears in place.  Apparantly there is something known as a 'case saver' that allows a repair if the casting broke off as he suspects.  Its about 50 bucks.  Rebuild on trans and rebuilt converter will be 300 so $350 plus fluid should put me back on the road.  I can hardly wait to put it back in...not!

One of these days I'm going to learn how to build transmissions but for 200 bucks including parts, it isn't worth the effort.  Especially since removal and replacement are such a pain if I had to redo something over a few times until I learned it right.

Kerryp

Do You Yahoo!?