oil consumption

Hello Mark,(and List)

I have always run all of my Chrysler Big Blocks(and other engines) a 1/2 qt
or so low...but I never go below 1 qt low.

I think the reasoning behind WHY engines don't like to stay at the 'FULL'
mark is because of crankcase windage. If the oil pan is full,oil sloshing
around catches the crankshaft counterweights more often and gets thrown
around creating more oil vapor coming out of the breather. It puts x-tra
stress on the seals which are trying to contain the oil too.

Not only will there be increased windage,but the engine will not make as
much power if the cranks counterweights are slinging thru the oil when it is
at the FULL mark,either. Imagine yourself standing in the shallow end of a
swimming-pool. Take your arm and,in a circular motion,rotate your arm from
above your head...thru the water and then up again. Notice how hard it is to
move your arm once it is under water??? The same principle applies to the
crankweights spinning thru the oil.

There are windage trays available from jegs.com that cut down on sloshing
and windage....but I'm too lazy to install one.

Steve from Albany,N.Y.
'75 Imp 4dr http://www.wantaddigest.com/curr/CACR_DI.html Scroll down. What
is that ugly thing parked behind me??? I might have crushed it w/o
noticing...hehehe.
'79 440 powered 35 ft RV <--will reluctantly try to replace the roof myself.