Re. 392 Distributors and parts

Hello Gang;
 From what I read in one magazine article, dealing with early hemi parts
interchanges, was that the distributor shaft from a 360 wedge would drop
right into an early hemi for the purpose of using a 360 oil pump rather then
the original. The main difference between the two was the type of oil it was
driving and how that oil pump connected to the end of the distributor shaft.
The problem was not with adapting the distributor shaft but with making the
holes in the 360's oil pump line up with those in the hemi block.
 I for one can see no advantage to doing this as oil pumps tend to live long
lives and can be rebuilt when there is a failure. If one does not wish to do
rebuilt it then there are replacements readily available from P.A.W for a
reasonable price. As for the distributor itself points, condensors, rotors,
etc., can be ordered through any auto parts store and are much cheaper then
and electronic setup. Here are some Echlin electrical part numbers for my
331 but I am sure that they would be usefull for a 392 Hemi as well:

Echlin Electrical Part Numbers
Ignition Points CS721A (Needs two sets on a Hemi)
Condensor .....AL868
Dist. Cap........AL99
Rotor..............AL65
Ignition Coil.....IC7
Generator Brushes..A430
Starter Brushes.......A514
Turn Signal Flasher..535

 I tried these numbers at every auto parts store in town and they could all
cross reference them and order them in whatever brand they carried. In some
instances they were already sitting on the shelf out back. The most
expensive part was the ignition coil but that isn't a part that needs
replacing on a regular basis. Good luck wherevever you are.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side Taillight Bezel and Other Trim Parts