Of fuel socks and rusty gas -- Try Mother Mopar

Of fuel socks and rusty gas -- Try Mother Mopar

Thad,

Replace the sock.  It will keep bugs and other large debris from getting
into the fuel line.

Your local Chrysler (or other Mopar dealer) will likely have the have the
tank filter, gasket, grommet strap & brass float.  I've always been able
to get these from Mother Mopar over the counter.  Just  take your old
parts for a match up -- these parts were used on many models for 30 years
or more.  Other sources are Year One, Laysons and other muscle car parts
houses (all have catalogs on the Web).

You can also try a search on eBay (and probably end up paying more than
from the above sources)<----Mandatory eBay content :-).

John B.

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:27:09 -0700 (PDT) Thad <gentrysgarage@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> Well I pulled the tank off the Grey Ghost (1965
> Imperial) yesterday (please note the j-bolts were a
> lot shorter than I thought). And foud to my surprise a
> clean (as in the cleanest) tank I have ever seen no
> rust ANYWHERE! What I was taking for rusty gas was the
> fuel sock (this is what I have always know the fuel
> filter in the tank to be called) was in peices and
> what was there was clogged with parts of its own! Now
> it has taken 37 years 1 month and 9 days (the tank was
> installed on 3/16/65 gotta love those assembly guys!)
> for it to dissenegrate, do I replace it or forget it?
> If I replace it were do I get one?
> Also I would like to replace the fuel filler grommet
> and sending unit gas gasket. I am sure that Metro
> Rubber, Steele and Gary Goers has the part, but I do
> not have the part numbers anybody got them so I can
> order these 2 parts?
> I also found that the the grounding strap came off in
> 2 pieces. I am fairly certain that this was my problem
> with my guage reading correctly sometimes and
> sometimes not. But I would like to check the the
> operation how do I do this.
> A final note I have used Ford floats in the past (they
> are brass) does anybody know which model works on our
> Chryslers.
>
> Thanks Thad the ImpPoster
> 1965 Grey Ghost>

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!