Pie plates vs snorkels advice

Johan

Even tho you have multiple questions, they are mostly related.  The snorkle
is used to cause a "ram effect" to the air cleaner.  The early style was a
round tube and the later style is rectangular.  The new style has a fitting
for a warm up tube from the exhaust manifold and some other fittings for
vacume tubes.  This same air input tube also has a fexible air intake hose on
the newest models.  The hose is to have fresh (cool) air from the out side to
the carb.  It was found the fresh air was a cheap way of getting better hp.
At first this was only found on the hot hp cars.  Today this is also found on
a GEO.   Starting in 1967 MoPar started offering a dual snorkle air cleaner
housing.  The dual snorkle was only on the TNT/Mag engines (and yes one could
get a dual snorkled 440 with 375 hp Imperial).

The rectangle styled air cleaner's have the "pie pan" cover.

The clutch fan assy is also to keep from "robbing" hp.  It takes more power
to have a direct drive fan assy.

The fan shourld makes for a more cooler running engine.

I've got to go to work.  I'm sure that others can fill in the blanks from my
reply to help you with your questions.

                                              Rodger & Gabby

47 De Soto Custom
63 Le Baron with round dual snorkle air cleaner
66 Le Baron    "       "      "        "        "     "