Leaking throttle shaft, rebuild or replace?

Leaking throttle shaft, rebuild or replace?

        I have to decide what to do about the Carter AFB in my 61 IMP.
Last fall the car stalled on me a few miles from my driveway.  I pulled
over and noticed gas leaking out of the throttle shaft on the side where
the choke is. I figured the car was flooded and waited a while and
managed to restart the car and get it home.  I pulled the carb from the
car figuring it was time for a rebuild.  My question is how much play
should there be in the throttle shaft?  Is it normal to get some leakage
at the throttle shaft in a flooded state?  Can the AFB be rebushed? I
have never rebuilt a carb but I think I could handle it, but If the
throttle shaft holes are worn I would rather not attempt a rebuild. I
read somewhere that the throttle shaft leakage is usually not a problem
with the AFB because the body is so thick, is this true?
       I could just buy a new AFB and be done with it but I think I would
have to change the choke set up. I have the well type automatic choke and
would like to retain the original setup.  Any advice would be appreciated

                Frank