hitting below the "belts"

Possibly, the belts could be too tight.  If they were
too loose you would likely either throw a belt or hear
a loud screeching noise when turning hard left or
right.  The belts should have approximately 3/8" play
with moderate thumb pressure on the middle of the
longest stretch of the belt.

Possibly too they are the wrong belts.  With dual
belts, generally the thin style belt is used.  Make
sure the top of the belt is below the upper ridge of
the pulley.  Also, I like Gates belts.  They are quite
durable in my experience, for everything from lawn
tractors to roto-tillers to automobiles and go-karts.

Finally, check to see that the pulleys are aligned.
If the pulleys are not parallel and on the same plane,
the belts will wear out prematurely.  You could have a
bent bracket or a bolt with too many washers on one
side.  Also, often a belt that is too tight can
distort the pulley alignment.

Good luck!

=====
--Mike Pittinaro