1960 Window Lift-Motor/Otis & rebuilding.

1960 Window Lift-Motor/Otis & rebuilding.

> The lift motors are available too,I can get 'em from the
> place where I work
> for about $40(employee purchase)plus core. Cardone
> rebuilds 'em. I am not
> sure if the early-mid '60's motors resemble the '70's
> motors. I don't know
> the years of interchangeability. Does anyone?

The 1970's units appear in pictures to have the gears and a
small 90 degree transmission assembly integral to them.

The early 1960's units come in 2 sizes for the motor body,
but are interchangeable due to identical diameter bodies.
They are motors that look like they belong in the head of a
milkshake machine at the soda fountain, and are a smaller
version of the unit that drives the 6-way seat in these
cars.

The larger (slightly longer body with rubberized covering)
motor has removable bolts and is supposedly rebuildable,
but I did not locate anyone interested in performing this
despite asking about 5 electric motor places.  The smaller
one is not clad in black rubber and has rivet-like bolts
that would need to be ground off to be dismantled.  I wager
that the rubber covered versions (came on post 1960 cars, I
think) were an attempt to fix/amend without redesigning.

Both units clamp into a stamped, molded metal bracket
recepticle, and have a pencil-sized chrome driveshaft that
has a flat on one side.  There is a thick rubber
"driveshaft" about an inch long that fits between the motor
and the input shaft of the window mechanism that the motor
is to drive.  The rubber of the driveshaft allows the thing
to come to a sold stop while absorbing the torsion of the
motor in a non-rigid way, sparing the metal gearing in the
window mechanism when the window hits the full-up or full
down stop positions.

They are in a position in the door such that water dripping
down the window in rain or car washes comes to reside in
and on the motor, rusting the bearings solid in short time,
especially when sitting outside, even with the windows
closed.

These are one of the 1960's achilles heels, and most parts
sources are consistently picked clean of these - indicating
that they are a weak point on others' cars too.  Lowell is
getting $75 or more for each of them, and bless his heart,
the man has a real knack for knowing what's valuable and
what isn't, then making certain that you know too.

If your shop is interested in looking at rebuilding some, I
wager that you could get $35 each easy and $50 medium,
maybe more.  The parts that go bad are the bushing-bearings
and the shaft that they ride on.  The rest seems to cleanup
OK, but that is not my bag and a motor person might see
otherwise.

I volunteer some of my toasted motors and financing to you
if you think that you have a path to fix them.  Might turn
out to be a good source of beer money for your place of
employ.

Boo-hoo - I just don't think that these are available
rebuilt, and I have to use crummy old sed ones that differ
in speed and efficiency.

Please let me know if you can help or know otherwise.  (I
was also thinking about appropriating a motor from another
application, but am not at that point in the car project yet).

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious