"Helping" Your Window Lift-Motor.

   I just read Kenyons posting concerning Failing Window Motors,Symptom vs.
Cause,and would suggest that anyone not familiar with caring/maintaining
their operation,read it.

   In the '73 window motor postings,I think there was some confusion about
"helping" the window up or down. From my experience with the late '60 to
'70s lift motors,there are 2 kinds of "helping". "Helping",to me,means
grabbing the window and pulling it up while the motor is trying also.  Here
are the 2 kinds:

1) You push the switch....the motor whirrs and makes all kinds of clicking
sounds. The window tries to move but just jiggles. <--this WAS the case with
the dr-side ft window on my '75 Imp. The plastic gears were at fault. I had
spare motors. The replacement gears,from what I have heard,are available in
Auto Parts Stores.

2) You push the switch...the motor tries like hell,but comes to a silent
stop,even with the engine running to give it x-tra juice. But,if you grab
the window and help it,it then will go. This indicates a tired motor and/or
mechanism and slide-channels in dire need of lubrication. Your Lithium
grease might have turned to "chicken-fat" like Kenyon said.

The lift motors are available too,I can get 'em from the place where I work
for about $40(employee purchase)plus core. Cardone rebuilds 'em. I am not
sure if the early-mid '60's motors resemble the '70's motors. I don't know
the years of interchangeability. Does anyone?

Some causes,other than lack of lube,might be unnecessary stress on the
window such as someone leaning on the window when it is partially up,to talk
to someone inside. Or someone trying to force the window down to gain entry.
Possibly keeping your finger on the switch,even tho the window is already up
or down will cause damage.(Kids in the back playing w/the switches...and the
driver having the window-lock-out sw off). I make sure I release the switch
once the window has gone all the way up or down.

Sorry to be so long-winded on this Posting. I hope this helped someone out.

Steve from Albany,N.Y.
'75 Imp 4dr <--thinking of taking it out for a ride today.
'79 440 powered 35 ft RV