Failing Window Motors - Symptom vs Cause

Failing Window Motors - Symptom vs Cause

 When dealing with window motors, the postings of late have concerned symptoms.  These are said to include worn or broken gears or failed motors.  While some things just give up the ghost and fail due to age, others fail due to being made to do work above their design capacity.  Worn gears may indicate to me that your mechanism needs to be cleaned to lower the resistance that your motor has to deal with to drive your glass up and down.

The 1960 cars that I have dealt with have a motor that is positioned and designed to allow them to rust when they sit.  Its one of the car's weakest points.  The window assemblies in those cars also had a white lithium or similar grease that was great when new, but congeals and hardens over time and looks like somebody put chicken fat in as a lubricant now that we're 40 years out.  Often, the these cars will have 4 windows that all operate at different speeds due to varying window mechanism conditions.

Cleaning the 1960 frames, springs, and workings makes all 4 windows absolutely shoot up and down, in a way that later model years did not for safety reasons.  Please check your entire assembly.  You may have other windows that are not too far away from failing that can benefit from attention as well.  If you pack the bottom of the door with absorbent rags, you can cheat and use an aerosol degreaser to blast the stuff clean after removing all soft parts and the inside door panel, but you have to be careful, and should take your stuff out if you are a meticulous and careful sort of person.

Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious

Do You Yahoo!?