'59 Gas gauge

At 07:14 PM 3/19/02, you wrote:
The gas gauge on my '59 finally came out of hibernation, almost. It was dead stuck on E since I got the car, and yesterday I looked and noticed it had climbed to almost the halfway mark, but still not accurately reading the amount of gas in the tank since I ran out this afternoon on the freeway at rush hour, fortunately I was able to glide safely to the shoulder. I've been approximating how much gas I have by using the trip odometer, and resetting it to 00000 every time I fill up. I guess that method also proved not to be fail safe today, actually I don't think it was topped off last time I got gas. I will now fill until I see gas coming up the filler tube. After my freeway ordeal which only lasted a few minutes, a freeway service truck was right there, and put in about 4 gallons for free, maybe, or maybe I'll get a bill in the mail, anyway the guy was a rude jerk so I didn't want to ask him any more than I had to, getting off the freeway I went to the first gas station and filled the tank up. Then I noticed the gauge went back to E, and about another few miles had climbed back up just over half way. My whole point to this windy story is, does this sound like a float problem? Bill '59 Crown
No, it sounds more like an electrical problem to me.
Danny