Kerry's tranny shifting "problem"

> Ah well better lucky than good.

This strikes me as an old Irish proverb, though I
could be mistaken on its origin.  In any case, it is
one which we ham-fisted wanna-be-mechanics often cling
to.

> The only complaint is that in passing gear at WOT
> she
> seems to stay in passing gear a little TOO long.  I
> say this because the rate of acceleration falls off
> and then picks back up when she shifts into high.
> The
> shift point from 2-3 seems to be about 70 at WOT.
> If
> I punch it at 65 she sometimes will drop into second
> for just a second and then back to high.

Being that your car has the vintage 1973 440 and mine
the 1967, we might have two different animals,
power-band-wise.  But, my 440 revs strong up until
90mph, which is about where the tranny finally decides
to upshift into 3rd.  Also, you probably have a 3.23
vs. my 2.94; that would equate my 90 mph revs into
your *breaks out his TI-25X Solar* 82 mph revs.  There
are  2 possibilities, either that my 440, with its
high compression, dual exhaust, etc is better at the
higher RPMS than your smog motor, or that there are
still perhaps some tuning issues with your car.  Or
maybe a bit of both.  Only one way to find out- dual
your exhausts, and bolt on a set of '67 heads or, even
better, a nice set of Edelbrock aluminum big block
heads (only $1200 a pair!).

Finding out why those Autolites (normally very robust
plugs) fouled out would be a good start.  Maybe you
just need to drive it more!  (and faster!)

In any case, if you want to adjust your shift points,
the kickdown linkage would be a good place to start.
If my recollection serves me, disconnect the slotted
piece from the side of the carb and screw it in a
couple of turns into the kickdown rod.  This should
make the tranny kickdown sooner.  Alternatively, screw
it out (but make sure at least 3 or 4 threads are
engaging the rod!) to have the kickdown be later.

I need to think of a new Haiku!

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Christmas is over now