need advice on engine re-build

When an engine needs to be rebuilt, it burns a lot of oil.  It pours blue
smoke from the back at all times, and its hard to start.  It also fouls
plugs often.  Does your 440 do that?  Before you decide to rebuild your
engine, do a compression test.  This will tell you what's happening.  There
are tests that can determine if you have a valve problem or a ring
problem.  If you just have a valve problem, you do not need to rebuild the
whole engine.  As for the tune up, make sure the engine does not miss, and
then start advancing the timing.  This can be responsible for much of the
power loss.  If compression tests check OK, and engine knock does not allow
too much advance, check the carburetor mixture.  There are shops out there
that can measure your air.fuel ratio based on exhaust analizing.

These engines are tough, they don't wear out easily.  But if you do rebuild
it, I recommend you go with the 10.1 compression ratio pistons if you like
performance.  And dual exhaust of course.
D^2