need advice on engine re-build

Kevin;
 After an engine block is cast there are a number of steps taken to various
surfaces to turn a rough lump of cast iron into an operational device. One
of the first things that they do is to plain down the top and the bottom of
the engine block to make the surfaces true and flat. The second thing that
they do is to use a large cutter type drill bit to bore out the cylinders to
make them straight and perfectly round. Years later after the car has been
driven many thousands of miles these cylinders can become tapered or out of
round, and in some instances scored. Of course this cuts down on the
engine's efficientcy, can create noise, and in some cases causes it to burn
oil. What is done to remedy this problem is to repeat the process that was
carried out at the factory and the cylinders are rebored to a larger size.
 Of course after doing this you will also need a new set of pistons in an
oversize of .010'', .020'' up to .060''inches larger then the original
pistons depending on how much larger the cylinders need to be rebored. Since
you need to tear apart your engine to do this there are other parts that are
usually checked over at the same time such as the crankshaft journals, the
camshaft, and the timing chain with its sprockets. As a rule you would also
want to change the crankshaft bearings at the same time while you have it
apart since they are relatively inexpensive to replace.
 An engine rebuilt can be very expensive if you have someone else do all of
the work but it can be done much more reasonably if you handle the
disassembly and reassembly yourself and farm out the machine work. If I were
you I would make sure that a worn out engine is the problem and not
something more minor like a carb problem or the ignition timing being out of
adjustment. Even something a little more major like it needing a valve job
is still much easier and cheaper to deal with then an engine rebuild. Put it
this way, peform a compression test on each cylinder before you even think
of tearing that engine down.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing a Left Side Taillight Bezel and other trim parts.
Also needs an engine rebuild.