57/58/59 under hood padding

Hi, all.

I was interested to see if anyone could make a definitive statement about
this padding.  It is my contention that it is not a factory original item.
Maybe it was fitted at the dealer, or later on, but not at the factory.

The only "evidence" I have is a publicity picture in the 1955 - 63 Photo
Archive book.  There is a mechanic tuning up a 57, and making it look jolly
easy, too, and there is no padding under the hood.

Conversely, the 59 & 61 engine bay photos DO show a pad.  So, who's to say?

Down here in Texas, the sun is the main culprit in terms of destroying
paint.  Sooner or later, your horizontal surfaces are going to be toast.  I
cannot see any good reason for a pad in this climate.  The Engel designed
car, before he moved he moved to Chrysler, we have that has one and it is a
horrible mess.  Some one else has already posted on the negative aspects of
these pads so just put me down for a "ditto."

Under hood air flow is an element to consider with the Hemi in the 57/58
Imperial.  It is a huge engine in a car designed to be very, very low.  The
block rides low between the wheels, the heads are in the middle and the
valve covers sit above the rocker arms but are impeded from being cooled by
all the paraphernalia lumped on top.  This is not a pretty engine bay.  The
radiator is behind the A/C cooler.  The A/C cars have an additional blade on
the fan in the attempt to coerce more air movement under there.   I think
the pad would be virtually touching the air cleaner and the oil filler cap,
and would act as a heat trap for the engine to a great extent.

My poorly made point is that such a pad would actually not allow cooling air
to ciculate around the engine and then down under the car.

Hugh