Ghia-Limos

The last Chrysler-built limousine was the 1956 Imperial Crown limousine (and
8-passenger sedan).

For 1957, Chrysler totalled restyled all fheir car lines, with the Imperial
now using its own body.   They decided it would cost too much money to build
an extended wheelbase Imperial in Detroit, and contracted with Ghia in Italy
to do the job.

At first Chrysler shipped Crown 2-door hardtops on the convertible chassis
frame using larger diameter torsion bars and Chrysler wagon rear springs.
With the car came sedan rocker panels, the sedan "B" pillar, sedan doors,
all interior wiring, power window and door equipment, glass,
weather-stripping, longer centre driveshaft section, longer brake, fuel and
exhaust parts plus all paint, leather, and other trim materials.

Ghia took all these bits, extended the wheelbase from 129" to 149½" and
created a new roof.  Starting in 1960 Chrysler started shipping 4-door
sedans.  The fins on the 1957-1959 models started just behind the doors on
the 2-door hardtop, and Ghia could use the rear quarter panel with little
modification.  The 4-door models had the fin begin on the door, which would
have meant more body work.  For 1960 the fin began at the C-pillar on all
models.

As to configuration, it was whatever the buyer wanted.  The Ghia is
popularly called a limousine, although some non-division  8-passenger sedans
were built.  The Canadian government in 1959 had a Ghia "limousine" built
with the rear roof section removed.  Instead, they had a plastic canopy
built to be used in rainy weather.  It was purchased for the Royal tour of
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip.

The last Ghia limiousines were built in 1965, with Barreiros of Spain
building ten limousines in 1966.

For 1967, Chrysler contracted with Stageway Coaches to build Imperial
LeBaron limousines.   The cars were on a 163" wheelbase, with the stretch
being between the doors.  Stageway built its last Imperial LeBaron limousine
in 1971.

As for your book, the section should be headed, simply, "Ghia Crown
Imperials".

Bill
Vancouver, BC