Ghia-Limos

Imperial limousines were only "Ghias" from 1957-1965.
Limousines before or after that period were either
built by Chyrsler or other coachbuilders (such as
Derham, Lebaron, or Stageway.)

Imperials went to Italy as either specially prepared
2-door hardtops (1957-59 models) or as specially
prepared 4-door LeBarons (1960-65 models).  Once
there, they were stretched and special bodywork was
fabricated to make them limousines.

"Ghia" is only a nickname for these cars.
Technically, limos of the 1957-65 era are all
correctly referred to as "Crown Imperial Limousines" -
as opposed to standard production line Imperial Crowns
of the same era.  Yes, it gets confusing.  However,
these limos are often referred to as "Ghias" as a nod
to their special status as hand-built customs, bodied
by Ghia.

By the way, the Crown Imperial name (as opposed the
Imperial Crown) always referred to the top model
Chrysler (or Imperial after 1955) from the late 20's
all the way through 1965. It was almost always
attached to a limousince body style.

Chris H.

60 NY T&C
66 Crown Convertible