Keith's 58: The wisest choice

Keith,

You have to CHILL OUT!  No one on this list should take my recommendations
seriously.  Have you seen all the pictures that were taken of this car?  I
no longer have the file.  I lost it when my computer crashed last year.  I
know I sent it to someone else.

I have never seen this car/  As far as I know, Dick Benjamin is the only one
on the list that has.  There are some snaps of its dashboard and "Auto
Pilot" control on my own site, which I took my the snaps Dick took.

It does not matter what anyone else may or may not want to pay for this car.
I see cars everyday, lovely Mopar muscle cars, and I wouldn't take 'em if
they were free.  They just aren't for me.   "My" car does not even belong to
me, legally.  It belongs to a down at heel transportation museum.  The car
was given to it for free, in 1984.  The Imperial is relatively useless to
the museum, except it gets my work as Chairman for it for free.  I became
attracted to the car because of its looks.  It slowly emerged, in my humble
opinion, as the best driving car we have.  My second favourite is the 1928
Durant Star coupe, so go figure.

Getting buyer's remorse at this point is just twisting yourself into a
pretzel for no earthly reason.  The price you paid is book correct.  I saw a
lovely two door 1964 Imperial once and I wanted that car so badly, it grew
in my mind to be a thing of beauty beyond compare.  I told people I wanted a
small Imperial to go with the 58.  When I saw the car again, somehow it
seemed a lot, lot bigger than I recall, and, somehow, a whole lot less
fabulous.  The mind can play weird tricks on itself.  These days I want a
1956 Imperial, having seen one in this town that is owned by someone on this
list.

The fact is we can all be harsh and impartial when it isn't our money on the
line.  I used to get to lots of major rock concerts for free, back in
another lifetime.  I started to be as sniffy as a rock critic after a while.
I'd be in a venue, with all the psyched up fans, who, of course, paid for
their seats, and who were going mental and having a great time, and I'd be
totally uninvolved in the excitement.  Its like the difference between bacon
and eggs.  The hen was involved, but the pig was committed.

So, you've got yourself an Imperial.  A really good one, judging by the
pictures I have seen.  So, relax.  Don't worry, be happy.  Before you know
it, you'll be squeezing past it through your garage on the way to put out
the garbage.  Looking after a car like this is like planting an oak tree.
It takes a long time for the roots to grow.  There is no rush.  Who knows
what fate lies in store for the car and you?  Its the beginning of a great
adventure.

Hugh