From: "Rob van der Es" <r.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:05 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Sealing Imperial Roof and Trunk lid Trim

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your contribution on this subject!
I understand the importance of using a proper sealant, since
I live in a
very wet country called the Weatherlands, ehh the
Netherlands I mean :)
I noticed that on my 60 Crown a black sealant was used , it
has rubberized
over the years or maybe it was a rubber sealant that was
used. I don't
know..
Anyway the connection between the roof trim and the roof is
waterproof,
otherwise I would have rust stains in my headliner by now.
Personally, I don't think that this is the original sealer
that the factory
has used 48 years ago..
It looks to me if someone has used a sort of window sealant,
but it does the
job.

If I have to remove the roof trim I would use a modern
sealant on a PU base,
I think silicone is too agressive! There is a kind of acid
in it (smells
like vinegar) that can cause severe rust problems. It might
be aggressive to
your paintjob too!
Those modern PU base sealants give a very strong bond (as a
matter of fact
you can use it as glue), are weatherproof and non agressive.
And it is clear
as glass!

Water condense shouldn't be too much of a problem since the
paint is still
flawless, and if the SS inserts are properly sealed I think
everything will
be safe.
Or at least I hope so :)

Robert